The Electrical Welding Institute Named After Е.О. Paton
The Electrical Welding Institute named after Paton was founded in January 1943 in accordance with the initiative of the prominent engineer and scientist, academician Evgueny Oskarovich Paton. It was created on the basis of a welding laboratory of the Electrical Welding Committee and the chair of engineering structures of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute in accordance with the decree of the Presidium of the All-Ukrainian Academy of Sciences. Paton determined the key scientific directions for the Electrical Welding Institute in such a sphere of science and technology, as welding. The directions determined remain also actual for today. Strating from 1953 till today the academician Borys Yevhenovych Paton is the director of the Institute.
At the first stage the works of the Institute proved the conceptual possibility of manufacturing welding structures, which are as good as riveted structures by their durability and reliability, and by several technical and economic characteristics the welding structures considerably surpass the riveted ones, which resulted in the massive implementation of such technology as welding in the industry. By 1940 the Institute finalized the development and began the implementation at the country's plants of a high-performance process of automatic submerged arc weldinga>. This was the process, which the experts of the Institute implemented for welding of armor steel directly in the workshops of a tank-production plant in the Urals during the Great Patriotic War, which enabled to create a line production of welded T-34 tank hulls and to mechanize welding of another military equipment. The prewar and war stages in the activity of the Institute were a period of establishing a new scientific school, the authority of which was convincingly confirmed by awarding the name of Evgueny Oskarovich Paton to the Electrical Welding Institute in 1945.